演讲辱华的留学生——不要忘记自己也是中国人.
今天看到了一个视频,是一个叫中国留学生Yang Shuping(杨舒平)受邀为全校毕业生进行演讲,本来我以为一个中国留学生能在别个国度的毕业演讲,是我们每个中国人为之骄傲的事,可是看完了她的演讲以后,我的心一下子有些凉了,下面是她演讲的内容:
Good afternoon faculty students parents and friends.
各位家长、同学、朋友们,下午好!
I am truly honored and grateful to speak at the commencement for the University of Maryland, Class of 2017.
我很荣幸,也很感激能够在马里兰大学2017届毕业典礼上发言。
People often ask me: Why did you come to the University of Maryland?
人们经常问我:为什么你选择来马里兰大学?
I always answer: Fresh air.
我总是回答:新鲜的空气。
Five years ago, as I step off the plane from China, and left the terminal at Dallas Airport. I was ready to put on one of my five face masks, but when I took my first breath of American air. I put my mask away.
五年前,我从中国来到美国,出了达拉斯机场航站楼,呼吸到在美国的第一口空气后,我就丢掉了正准备戴上的五层口罩。
The air was so sweet and fresh, and oddly luxurious.
这里的空气是如此的新鲜甜蜜,尽管说起来奇怪,但这对我来说很奢侈。
I was surprised by this. I grew up in a city in China, where I had to wear a
face mask every time I went outside, otherwise, I might get sick.
我大感意外。我在中国的都市中长大,每次外出都必须戴口罩,不然的话,我可能会生病。
However, the moment I inhaled and exhaled outside the airport.
所以,当我在机场外面呼吸到第一口空气的时候,
I felt free.
然而,在机场外深呼吸的那一刻,我感到了自由。
No more fog on my glasses, no more difficult breathing, no more suppression.Every breath was a delight.
不再有蒙在眼镜上的浓雾,不再有呼吸困难,不再有压抑的生活。每一口呼吸都是一种愉悦的体验。
As I stand here today, I cannot help, but recall that feeling of freedom.
今天站在这里,我情不自禁地回忆起这种自由的感觉。
At the University of Maryland, I assume feel another kind of fresh air for which I will be forever grateful — the fresh air of free speech.
在马里兰大学,我还感到了另一种意义上的自由,一种我会永远感激的自由——言论自由。
Before I came to United States, I learned in history class about the Declaration of Independence, but these words had no meaning to me— Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.
在来美国之前,我在历史课上学到了美国独立宣言,那时独立宣言的内容——生命,自由和对自由的追求对我来说没有实际的意义
I was merely memorizing the words to get good grades.
我单纯地记下这些词,仅仅为了拿个高分。
These words sounded so strange, so abstract and so foreign to me, until I came to University of Maryland.
当时那些字句对我来说如此陌生,抽象,直到我来到了马里兰大学。
I have leaned the right to freely express oneself is sacred in American.
我学到了,在美国,自由表达是一项神圣的权利。
Each day in Maryland, I was encouraged to express my opinions on controversial issues.
在马里兰的每一天,我都被激励着在有争议的问题上发表自己的意见。
I could challenge a statement made by my instructor. I could even rate my professors online.
我可以质疑导师的意见,我也以在线上给老师评分。
But nothing prepared me for the culture shock I experienced when I watched a university production of the play— Twilight: Los Angeles.
不过这些都不能和我第一次看到校内演出的戏剧《黄昏:洛杉矶》(Twilight: Los Angeles)时感受到的文化冲击相比。
Twilight is a play by Anna Deavere Smith about the 1992 Los Angeles Riots
这是Anna Deavere Smith撰写的关于1992年洛杉矶暴乱的一部剧。
The riots followed acquittal of four Los Angeles police officers in the videotaped arrest and beating of Rodney King.
那次暴动的导火线为当地陪审团宣判四名被控“使用过当武力”殴打Rodney King的警察无罪释放。
看完以后,我真的For six days, the city was in chaos as citizens took to the streets.
6天内,人们走上街头抗议,城市陷入混乱。
In Twilight, the student actors were openly talking about racism, sexism and politics.
在这部剧里,学生演员公开地讨论种族歧视,性别歧视和政治话题。
I was shocked, I never saw such topic could be discussed openly.
我很惊讶,我从来不曾想过这样的话题可以被公开讨论。
The play was my first taste of political storytelling, one that makes the audience think critically.
这部剧是我第一次接触和政治有关的戏剧内容,它让观众辩证地思考。
I have always had a burning desire to tell these kinds of stories, but I was convinced that only authorities on the narrative, only authorities could define the truth.
一直以来,我都很渴望去讲述这样的故事,不过我曾相信只有权威的人才有资格讲述,只有权威部门才能界定事实。
However, the opportunity to immerse myself in the diverse community at the University of Maryland exposed me to various, many different perspectives on truth.
但是,沉浸在马里兰大学这种多远的文化中让我有机会能够接触不同的、多样的视角,去看待事实。
I soon realized that here I have the opportunity to speak freely.
我很快意识到了在这里我有自由发声的机会。
My voice matters.
Your voice matters.
Our voices matter.
我的声音很重要。
你的声音很重要。
我们的声音都很重要。
Civil engagement is not a task just for politicians.
公民参与不仅仅是政治家的任务。
I have witnessed this when I saw my fellow students marching in Washington DC, voting in the presidential election and raising money for support various causes.
我亲眼见到了我的同学们参与在华盛顿特区的游行,参与总统投票,为了各种各样的原因募集资金。
I have seen that everyone has a right to participate and advocate for change.
我见证了每个人都有参与、推进改革的权利。
I used to believe that one individual participation could not make a difference, but here we are, United Terps.
我曾以为一个人的能力也许不能做成什么,但是我们在这片土地上,美国。
Together, we can push our society to be more just open and peaceful.
在一起,我们能推进我们的社会,让它变得更开明和平和。
Class of 2017, we are graduating from a university that embraces a liberal arts education that nurtures us to think critically, and also to care and feel for humanity.
2017届的同学们,我们从一所拥抱人文教育、重视思辨能力、关注人道的大学毕业了。
We are equipped with the knowledge of various disciplines and we are ready to face to the challenges of our society.
我们具备了不同学科的知识,并准备好面对社会的挑战。
Some of us may go to graduate school, some us may step into professions and some of us may begin a journey of exploration.
我们中的有些人也许会继续读研究生,有的人会开启自己的职业生涯,有些人会开始求索的历程。
But no matter what we do, remember, democracy and free speech should not be taken for granted.
不过无论我们做什么,记住,民主和言论自由不是简简单单就得到的。
Democracy and freedom are the fresh air that is worth fighting for.
民主与自由是值得我们为之奋斗的、至关重要的新鲜空气。
Freedom is oxygen. Freedom is passion. Freedom is love.
自由就是氧气,自由是热情,自由是爱。
And as a French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre once said: freedom is a choice, our future is dependent on the choices we make today and tomorrow.
就像法国哲学家萨特曾经说的:自由是一种选择,我们的未来就取决于我们在今天做的选择。
We are all playwrights of the next chapters of our lives. Together, we right the human history.
我们为自己的人生写下下一篇章,我们一起,写下人类的历史。
My friends, enjoy the fresh air and never let it go.
我的朋友们,享受这里的新鲜空气,不要放手。
Thank you.
谢谢。
看了这些,我真为她的表现感到悲哀——请问这位女生:5年前你来到美国,那从出生到5年前你生活在哪里?谁把你培养出来的?你能去到美国,是你一出生就自己努力的?那么那些帮助你成长的人们他们又生活在哪里?他们拿什么来把你养大?他们在哪里获得这些物质和金钱的?是不是祖国给予他们的?
你说美国连空气都是甜的,而中国的空气连出门都要戴口罩。我真的不敢苟同,我不知道你生活在何处,但我觉得你这一杆子打翻一船人的说法真是是不种不负责任的表现。我也关注了那些对这件事作出评价的人中间也有一些对于这个女生的言论有支持的态度的,认为这是事实。我们不否认她在演讲中事实——中国作为一个发展中的国家,在发展经济中难免有一些牺牲,空气污染也是事实, 但我们的党,我们的国家已经认识到了环境保护的重要性,专门制定的环境保护法,也在努力的改变现有的情况。更不是你所谓的一踏糊涂。而且作为一个中国人,这些应该是我们的家事吧,这些值得你拿到家外去向别人说自己家人的种种不是吗?你这样说是为了什么?博别人一笑?还是想让别人同情你的家人?……说实话,古语都云:狗不嫌家贫,儿不嫌母丑。可你呢?却为了讨好别人,毫不留情地把自己的母亲踩在脚下。你这样你觉得你的脸上就有光了不成?从我省事几十年的生涯里,我觉得人家只会把你的言语当作茶余饭后笔料而已。你以为你是什么?孩子,我觉得你这样说从大的说你是不忠,因为你连自己的祖国都要出卖;从小的说,你是不孝,你从母亲的身边一走开,就把母亲这样的踩,你就是个不忠不孝的小人。我不知道你的父母看到你的言论,会不会为你而感到羞愧?!!
我们都说,知识层次越高的人越应该明白事理,可听了你的演讲以后,我觉得你的书读得狗肚子里去了,你说美国是什么都是自由的。那么我想请问:那为什么从大的说美国在世界上给其它国家的形象都是蛮横霸道的?从科威特到利比亚再到今天的叙利亚,美国对他们讲过民主讲过自由吗?把别国去作威作福,让那么多人都生活在恐惧和死亡的阴影里,这是一个崇尚民主和自由的国度应该做的事?你作为一个留学生,你认为这是自由的表现?从小的说,美国既然讲自由,那为什么还有贫民窟,种族歧视,性别歧视?而众所周知的美国还是黑道横行最多的国家,也是毒品的重灾区。还有让世界一片哗然的“窃听门”事件?你本以为的自由,说不定你就处在别人的监视之中而不自知呢!!我想当你把这些搞清楚的时候,你还能说你是自由的吗?
作为一个留学生,你要记住你的一言一行不光仅仅是你个人的体现,你还是沟通两国文明的使者,你要做的是为两国的文明交流而努力,而不能像你那样,为了想媚谄取悦别国,就一脚把祖国踩在脚下,就说母亲的种种不是。能有今天,应该说是祖国成就了你,不管你以后会不会成为某国人,但我都想提醒你——你也是一个中国人。至少曾经是一个中国人!
|